Connect with others who understand.

sign up log in
About MyFoodAllergyTeam
Real members of MyFoodAllergyTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Does Anyone Have A Reaction To The Food That Causes A Reaction Hours After Ingesting The Particular Food?

Does Anyone Have A Reaction To The Food That Causes A Reaction Hours After Ingesting The Particular Food?

I have a severe tree nut allergy, and I tried the challenge approach in the allergist's office. After 5 hours I ingested one whole almond, but because I did not show any symptoms in the office he told me I could eat almonds (ha, ha). I didn't have a reaction until 2 hours later. My tongue began swelling. Needless to say, I stay away from all tree nuts!

A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

Thank you for your response. I am beginning to believe that my issue is autoimmune. If I eat too much wheat in any given day hours after I eat it my throat begins to swell (scary stuff). It begins with my tongue and goes directly to my throat. I've been to a number of allergists and their response is, " keep doing what you are doing." I am taking Claritan every day and using my EpiPens when necessary.

posted about 1 year ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

I have reactions when allergens reach my lower intestine and end when I pass the offender. Alkaseltzer GOLD (NOT BLUE) or baking soda in water or in capsules with water, ease and generally eliminate my reactions if I catch them early enough--meaning as soon as my tongue starts to tingle or my throat gets tight or chest starts to wheeze or I start to itch....IF I catch if immediately, I can avoid further treatment unless it's to my previously nearly fatal reactions requiring 3 weeks in the hospital--then these baking soda based products keep me from dying before I can find the EpiPen in my bag. I AM NOT SUGGESTING YOU STOP USING YOUR PRESCRIBED TREATMENTS! Simply ask your doctor if it might be a first step aid to relief. It's used intravenously in hospitals to help your body recover--just as activated charcoal is in drug overdoses to adsorb (correct spelling) the drugs and help pass them safely from the body.

posted about 1 year ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

Sadly I cant do the same. As a kid and teen my Mom tried the exposure method and it didn't help. My allergic reactions only got worse, so i avoid them at all costs.

posted about 1 year ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

I can relate. My reactions take longer the more time goes on, so I have no idea if the food I eat was safe or not. But as time between reactions gets shorter I can definitely identify. Though its been a while.* Knocks on wood* I have been extremely careful

posted about 1 year ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

My face, lips, or throat swell.

posted 12 months ago
Browse more questions and answers
Continue with Facebook
Sign up with your email
Already a Member? Log in