Connect with others who understand.

sign up log in
About MyFoodAllergyTeam

I Have A Situation I Don’t Know How To Go About For Advocating My Son?

I Have A Situation I Don’t Know How To Go About For Advocating My Son?

I have a situation that I’m not sure on how to handle. My son is 5 and severely allergic to dogs test scored higher than his foods. If someone comes to our home who has dogs in there’s he begin to itch. No swelling maybe some eczema spot very minor. He’s also allergic to many foods anaphylactic. Recently went to children’s hospital with my daughter for some tests. They brought one of there 21 service dogs in and asked if she could pet. I… read more

A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

Tell the hospital staff that you have a severely deathly allergic child to dogs and therefore can not allow any dogs anywhere near you or your family and that your child will die if exposed to even the tiniest amount of fur and that you thank them in advance for their prompt concern. If they do not care, then I would add "My child does not need to eat dog to die. Also, you can be allergic and deathly allergic to anything - not just peanuts and tree nuts. Thank you for your concern!" Yes, this is a bit over the top, but this way they get the message loud and clear that dogs are extremely so over the top allergic, that death will happen instead of the usual belief "a little bit won't matter" or "you must eat it, before you'll die".

To the person with the dog, simply move your child away, if possible, or if not, be pro-active the second you see the person with the dog - and say, "No! Dog allergy - lethal. Keep dogs away please!" I would say this in a very loud, clear voice. I would also repeat it so that they know that you said it. I would even wave and shake my hands across my chest in a no manner, with a look of terror.
Best Wishes!

posted about 2 months ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

My son's dog allergy at 7yrs was considered life threatening. It did change our lives, however despite it being impossible to avoid it was manageable. For instance highest dog and cat dander is in school from others children's clothes. Dog allergy is not the hair as such but their saliva. So a dog licking would cause contact reaction. Inside a room that a dog had been would cause breathing difficulties. But I never stopped my son from stroking a well known dog outside in fresh air. If his hand itched a wet wipe controlled that. My son loved dogs and was desperate to have one. By 14 his allergy changed and is now low. At 23yrs he lives with his girlfriend and 2 dogs. We have a dog and put measures in place to reduce dander exposure. My husband is also mildly allergic.

posted about 2 months ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

Second. If they know they need to keep animals out of area. You would think they would have a dedicated area for this reason.
Heck we collect stuffed animals for sick kids and they wouldn't last us hand them out saying they could carry germs(understand). I would think same for animals.

posted about 2 months ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

Yes I would tell the hospital staff that he is extremely allergic and can become very sick if around dogs. Tell them when you make the appointment. Also I would call day of appointment before you get there and few minutes before you arrive. Perhaps they need to have a special room and area where folks with service dogs go. Also they should accommodate you under Americans with disabilities act. Staff need to be aware and make sure appointment isn’t made when someone with service dog around. They can put reminder notes up.

posted about 2 months ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

@A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member Service dogs employed for use as therapy dogs are not considered germy and dangerous. Stuffed animals, they prefer to be in plastic bags that are factory sealed. However, who sells stuffed animals that are good quality in plastic bags? Only if you buy online, might they come in a plastic bag. I think Miyoni brand, if bought off of amazon, came in a plastic bag. However, they still might say no, which I can still understand given that sickly children have extremely weakened immune systems.

posted about 2 months ago
Browse more questions and answers
Continue with Facebook
Sign up with your email
Already a Member? Log in