I am afraid to take my epipen.

I am afraid to take my epipen.

In the Epinen, there is an additive called Sulfites, and i am allergic to the product. In my case, should i take the chance to inject if I really have to? I am very careful on what I eat, I'm very limited in my choices of food, so shouldn't i still be careful in this case also? I wish they would remove sulfites out of wine, I would sure love to have a glass lol.Thank you.

A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

I have the same fear as you and to be honest I think that fear is what keeps me on my restricted diet. The fear of the accidental exposure to an allergen is intense to the point that I sometimes in a work scenario go hungry and the end up aggravating my stomach (I have gerd).

@A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member are you under the care of a specialist?

posted 8 months ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

If you are dying enough to need to take the Epi-pen due to an allergic reaction, chances are good you probably need it until you can get to an Emergency Room anyways. However, as part of the 911 call let them know about the additional possible complication.

I have a secondary condition that makes a heart attack more likely when I use an Epi-Pen. Last January was the first time I was ever desperate enough to use the Epi-Pen. I had my family let the EMTs know about the possible complications because of my other condition. Although I didn't have a heart attack, I did have other complications from the Epi-Pen and it scared the shit out of the EMTs. The hospital ended up having to treat both conditions to stabilize me.

I have known about the risks of taking an Epi-Pen with my secondary condition for 16 years. I was terrified that entire time. However, that horribly bad allergic reaction that just kept getting worse and worse was exactly the reason I have an Epi-Pen.

posted 9 months ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

I am allergic to Sulfites too and have had several epi injections in the past. Always go to the ER immediately if you have to use your Epipen. Also the risk from the active allergic reaction is greater than the risk of a potential reaction to the sulfites.

posted 8 months ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

Contact the manufacturers of auto injector or ask your allergy doctor for advice.

posted 5 months ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

Hello I am new to this forum please tell me which test you had for the sulfite allergy. Any advice appreciated. I am having a Sulphur allergy test once cortisone wears off in two weeks but need to know if that test will be the right one good luck and many thanks for any advice

posted 8 months ago
Browse more questions and answers
Continue with Facebook
Sign up with your email
Already a Member? Log in