Fragrance allergies cause me severe migraines

Fragrance allergies cause me severe migraines

Has anyone found a medication, or other solution, to deal with fragrance allergies? Mine are severe, lifelong, and in addition to causing me to avoid MANY places, they often cause me to get severe migraines. I have many migraine triggers, but strong fragrances are one of the worst, and I find that migraines caused by fragrances or other strong odors (thick permanent markers, cleaning products, "fabric sizing" sprayed onto dept store clothes, etc)- this type of… read more

A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

In regards to fragrance allergy and sensitivities, right after I’ve been exposed I come home and shower, change and wash my clothes, wash off my glasses. Because I travel an hour to work places with my job I also keep wipes in the car that are safe for me that I can clean my face and glasses and hands with after exposure. That usually brings relief to the headache. Sometimes a little peppermint oil if I sniff it but not directly that helps with the headache. Cup of strong coffee helps the headache also. I haven’t had full-blown migraines with it I usually have more facial swelling and respiratory issues.
I also carry a facemask in my pocket when I know I’m out and there’s a risk. At work I have one in my briefcase. Today for instance they were painting the bathrooms where I was meeting consumers. The smell was coming through the ventilation system into the rooms. I couldn’t remove myself immediately so I wore the mask and it definitely helps.

I do not bring scented items into the home. When I purchase clothing I have a special bin in the back of my car that I keep the bag and clothing there until I’m home and it goes right down to be washed. Store plastic bag smell and I usually put them out to the garbage or bring my own bags. If a garment is particularly smelly I hang it out in the sunshine to air or on the porch for several days out of my living space to air out.

Hope this helps!

posted 6 months ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

I use a carbon filter face mask from I Can Breathe mask company made from organic cotton. I am also undergoing Low Dose Antigen therapy shots every 8 weeks. I get chemical allergens, food allergens, and boat load of regular allergens ( tree, grass, mold, ragweed etc., etc.!) It's helping quite a bit. I just need to stick to my healthy diet not eat my food allergens and I react less to chemicals. I'm a nurse and know better, still cave and eat food that's bad for me!!!

posted 21 days ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

I find a smell lemon, peppermint and keep it on a cotton ball in a baggie in my pocket. If something smells, I take it out and smell or rub it on my temple, wrist and tip of nose. Most of the time it will work temporarily until I can leave the area.

posted 5 months ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

Thank you, AnneWebberPeake! Great suggestions!!

posted 6 months ago
A MyFoodAllergyTeam Member said:

Excellent advice.

posted 6 months ago
Browse more questions and answers
Continue with Facebook
Sign up with your email
Already a Member? Log in