My son is 91/2 months old and is severely allergic to dairy. He cannot consume anything with dairy. He has an epi pen as well. If milk touches him ( yogurt, milk, etc ) touches him he breaks out I hives. The other day he put a friends toy in his mouth and got hives all over his mouth! I'm suppose to go back to work shortly. My question is. How do you cope with this? How does daycare handle these situations if he can't even touch toys that have been in contact with dairy! It's not… read more
I am an early childhood educator and I also hasve allergies. At most child care centers allergies are taken extremely seriously. This is done by various safety measures. Such as toys being cleaned daily, the cook making different food or you providIng different food. A picture of your child and what they are allergic to, and more.
Contact the center before hand and find out what there policy is.
If it is a high quality child care environment then they should be able to accommodate date your child.
Advocate for your child if nessasry because inclusion is to give every child the same standard of care!
Hope this helps :)
My son has a severe peanut allergy and is on his way to kindergarten and I'm terrified. His daycare center is peanut free (thanks to me). They have separate plates for kids with allergies and the woman in the kitchen is a GOD SEND. I agree with Susanna that if it is a high quality daycare they will accommodate your little one. I understand your anxiety and I'm so sorry you have to go through with this. Is he on Zyrtec daily for dealing with hives? Just curious.
I am sorry, but I doubt you will be able to find a safe daycare. You probably do have the three difficult expensive options 1) Have one parent stay home with your son. 2) Hire a Nanny to care for your son and make sure they fully understand that he can't play with the same toys as other children. 3) Have a relative/friend move in with you care for your child.
Although children need socialization, it might not be safe for him to play with other kids unless it is at your home where you can control the food exposure or he is old enough to understand what he can and can't touch safely.
I work in a daycare. It will be almost impossible to control what others bring into the classroom. Formula is made from milk. The allergy and mouthing of toys has to be discussed with the teacher.
I have the same reaction to dairy. I’m sorry you and your son are having to deal with it. It feels like dairy is in everything. And it’s a lifelong struggle. If my children take a drink from my cup after eating cheese or chocolate, I break out in hives. I get hives in my throat and esophagus. Not only is it painful, it’s very scary. If you ever want to chat feel free to contact me. The good thing is...a lot of kids grow out of it. Mine started when I was 25. I’m still hoping to ‘outgrow’ it.