Our pediatrician wants me to introduce my 5 month old to peanuts. She said that they have been informed from the Medical Board with scientific studies that actually introducing known food allergens to a baby earlier in life while their immune system is still developing has shown to greatly reduce the chances of developing that particular allergy since their bodies learn that it's "normal" and not something foreign. I'm all for this because she showed me the information and it does make sense. My… read more
If you are really concerned about an allergic reaction try just putting a little on his back (so he can't eat it) and see if he has a skin reaction before feeding him any.
I would read up on immature guts infants and hold off until 6 months when babes gut is mature. There are tons of new studies showing a correlation to early introduction of solids (disrupting maturing gut flora) to food allergies, dozens of chronic illness, and autoimmune disorders. I think a lot mommas use pb powder, if its available in your area that's what I would start with. Just dab your finger in the powder and let him suck it off or rub it inside his cheek or gums, again, I'd wait until 6 months.
Yes our Pediatrician recommened the same. Peanut butter is one.of my sons fav. He was 6 months.when.I.started giving him.a little on a spoon. He is 16 months old now.
I am not sure about peanut allergy but my daughter was diagnosed with soy allergy at 1 month. she was born 3 weeks early. my husband and several family members have various degrees of food and airborn allergies. My wee-one had had no solids up to that point. She was exclusively breast with one bottle at birth to keep my husband busy. The choice we had was a horrendus formula that made us gag to smell it or change what i was eating to continue the breast. well... i went with best fo wee-one and fought food cravings, lots of jealousy and a bunch of prejudice to be sure of giving my daughth the best of all worlds. We pushed off solids till 7mths. we avoided the big 8 for 3 yrs and +++. now she has more of an intolerance to soy than a true allergy. So, a long story to explain!!! each child is different and each family situation is unique. WE chose to avoid for a long period because we say that right from the beginning she was frail. We chose to prolong the period of introduction to solide because each item needed to be watched for a possible reaction. We chose because of the high risk factor due to the family's history. And, WE chose because we were scared. How, do you feel about the process? Does the frist exposure need to be ingestion? What about a touch experiment? inhalation?
Is that a physician giving you that advice? Or a blog? If the doctor is suggesting it based on the study in the UK...then introduce it exactly as you doctor stated to do it. Not based on a blog suggestion.